IAB Europe is recruiting a full-time Privacy Counsel to join our Brussels-based privacy team. The candidate should have sound knowledge of the European data protection framework and an interest in its impacts on technological development, especially on digital media.
Scope of the role: Key responsibilities
The Privacy Counsel will report to IAB Europe’s Privacy Director. The Privacy Counsel will be responsible for conducting expert analyses of the impact of privacy and data protection legislation, case law and guidance on the digital media and advertising industry. Tasks and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Overseeing and contributing to all Committees and Working Groups that shape the future evolution of IAB Europe’s Transparency & Consent Framework (TCF) and other industry instruments to aid legal compliance
- Identifying the evolution needs of the TCF in light of enforcement actions by National Data Protection Authorities (DPAs), national and European jurisprudence, and practical experience in the market
- Liaising with and supervising outside counsel on legal matters relating to privacy-related litigation
- Overseeing and contributing to IAB Europe’s Legal Committee on topics related to privacy and data protection (e.g., guidance on international data transfers, impact assessments, due diligence, JCAs, DPAs, etc.)
- Supporting IAB Europe’s Public Policy team with expert analysis on the impacts and interactions between existing / future privacy regulation and other proposed legislation susceptible to affect the digital media and advertising ecosystem.
- A degree in law
- Good working knowledge of EU privacy and data protection rules
- Ability to analyse legislative requirements and translate these into practical recommendations and solutions
- Strong written, oral communication, and interpersonal skills
- An interest in digital advertising and the ability to interact confidently with technology industry professionals
- Fluency in English and at least 1 other EU/EEA language
- Between 1-3 years of experience in a relevant role.
- Strong communicator
- Versatile, able to work autonomously and take initiative
- Cross-cultural collaborator
- Structured and organised
What’s in it for you?
- Opportunity to work at the cutting edge of the development and implementation of privacy and data protection laws in a rapidly changing sector that is at the forefront of online technological innovation
- Visibility, engagement, and interaction with senior staff in leading local and global technology and media businesses
- Direct engagement with representatives from the European institutions and national authorities on privacy and data protection topics
- Ability to influence outcomes of the EU legislative process and create compliance initiatives that impact hundreds of thousands of businesses
- Possibility to work from home several days per week.
Salary: Competitive, commensurate with experience
Contract type: Indefinite
About IAB Europe
IAB Europe is the European-level association for the digital marketing and advertising ecosystem. Through its membership of media, technology and marketing companies and national IABs, its mission is to lead political representation and promote industry collaboration to deliver frameworks, standards and industry programmes that enable businesses to thrive in the European market. Visit our website for more information about IAB Europe and its members.
How to Apply
To apply, please send your CV & a covering letter by email to email@example.com with the subject line: ‘Privacy Counsel - Application’. While we may not be able to reach out to every applicant, we will contact candidates whose skills and experience are a strong match for the position.